A couple of areas of the physique are rather less seen to the proprietor than different individuals, however that doesn’t imply the hard-to-see areas should not essential. The rear thigh and buttocks present a case on this level. Whereas these areas are largely out of your imaginative and prescient line (except you line up in entrance of a mirror) these decrease physique components are very seen to everybody else. Sadly, the gluteal and hamstring muscle tissues can get a bit delicate and underdeveloped simply because they aren’t entrance line and visual, and due to this fact it’s simple to overlook about any direct train for these areas. It seems that along with creating the apparent contours in your decrease physique, these muscle tissues are additionally mechanically essential for “small” issues like strolling and climbing steps.1 For that motive, it’s simple to assume that your cardio workouts ought to maintain these areas, however often that’s not sufficient. In case your mirror tells you that your decrease physique and notably the gluteal and hamstring areas have been lagging a bit, the reverse hyperextension train on a bench will present a superb software to right this deficiency and make it one among your strengths.
Muscle Construction and Operate
The gluteus maximus is the most important of all of the hip muscle tissues and a significant thigh extensor.2 It attaches to the hip bones, the sacrum, the lumbar space of the decrease again, and the posterior a part of the femur. It has one other attachment on the iliotibial band of the fascia latae, which prevents the thigh from bowing out when the muscle tissues of the thigh contract. When the torso is mounted and the hip joint is free to maneuver, this muscle extends the femur bone of the thigh, which is the operate of the reverse hyperextension.3
Reverse hyperextensions activate hamstring muscle tissues on the posterior thigh.3 Though you may not assume that the hamstrings have a lot to do with the buttocks apart from being neighbors, they supply a part of the form that accentuates a agency buttock. As well as they supply the sweeping form to your posterior thigh. The hamstring muscle tissues include the lengthy head of the biceps femoris, semimembranosus and semitendinosus muscle tissues.2 The lengthy head of the biceps femoris begins on the ischial tuberosity, which is the bony a part of your hip that you simply sit on if you end up in a chair. The fibers of the quick head of the biceps femoris begin on the decrease one-third of the femur bone simply above the knee. Each heads of the muscle fuse right into a thick tendon, which crosses the lateral facet of the knee joint to connect to the fibula bone (and a few ligaments) on the knee.2 The muscle fibers of the semitendinosus muscle attaches to the ischial tuberosity and inserts right into a cord-like tendon that connects to the medial facet of the superior a part of the tibia (the massive medial bone of the leg). The semimembranosus muscle additionally begins on the ischial tuberosity and it attaches to the posterior a part of the medial condyle of the tibia slightly below the knee joint.2 The entire hamstring muscle tissues flex the knee. Nonetheless, in addition they assist to increase the thigh on the hip joint4 and that is the first motion concerned within the reverse hyperextension.3
The reverse hyperextension additionally prompts a bunch of three postural backbone muscle tissues, which collectively are referred to as the erector spinae.5 The iliocostalis muscle is essentially the most lateral of the erector spinae group. It begins from the iliac crest of the hip bone, and inserts into the ribs.2 The intermediate muscle of the erector spinae group is the longissimus muscle, which runs nearly the complete size of the again. The spinalis muscle runs up the middle of the again from the lumbar and decrease thoracic spinous processes of the vertebrae to the spinous means of the thoracic and neck (cervical) areas. Collectively, the erector spinae group are sturdy extenders of the vertebral column.2
1. Place your ft behind the pads of the reverse hyperextension machine. Some benches have a two-pad system, and you’d as an alternative place your ft between the pads in these machines. Should you would not have a machine, you should utilize a excessive Roman chair.
2. Lie on the highest pad, in order that your pelvis is on the bench however your hips and thighs cling off the again. Grip the handles (or the facet of the bench) to maintain your torso from shifting on the bench.
3. Maintain the knees straight and flex the hip joints in order that the thighs and legs are pulled in direction of the chest.
4. Reverse the motion by extending the thighs in a sluggish and managed vogue, whereas lifting the legs backward and upward. Though it’s referred to as “hyperextension,” it’s really finest if you don’t overextend the hip on this motion, as this might trigger extreme torque by means of the decrease again backbone and compress the intervetebral disks. This might enhance the danger for harm within the decrease again. Stopping with the thighs parallel to the ground will present an excellent muscle activation and never enhance the danger of incurring decrease again harm.6
5. Repeat the sequence for 10-15 repetitions in a sluggish and managed vogue in each instructions.
Reverse hyperextension might enhance hip flexor and hamstring flexibility a bit of. Nonetheless, the best good thing about this train is that it’s going to tremendously enhance, form, strengthen and agency your gluteal and hamstring muscle tissues. In truth, chances are you’ll discover that your decrease physique workouts all will appear a bit simpler in just a few weeks, and that can have rather a lot to do with the oblique enhancements that you simply acquire by doing reverse hypertensions. After just a few months, you’ll not want to fret about these muscle tissues which are out of sight, as a result of you may be getting loads of compliments from those that have an excellent line of view of your new decrease physique.
1. Tikkanen O, Haakana P, Pesola AJ et al: Muscle Exercise and Inactivity Durations throughout Regular Each day Life. PLoS One 2013;8:e52228.
2. Moore, Ok.L. and A.F. Dalley. Clinically oriented Anatomy, Fourth Version. Lippinot, Williams & Wilkins, 1999; pp. 467-474; 554-560; 563-571.
3. Kang SY, Jeon HS, Kwon O et al: Activation of the gluteus maximus and hamstring muscle tissues throughout inclined hip extension with knee flexion in three hip abduction positions. Man Ther 2013.
4. Ono T, Higashihara A, Fukubayashi T: Hamstring features throughout hip-extension train assessed with electromyography and magnetic resonance imaging. Res Sports activities Med 2011;19:42-52.
5. Ekstrom RA, Osborn RW, Hauer PL: Floor electromyographic evaluation of the low again muscle tissues throughout rehabilitation workouts. J Orthop Sports activities Phys Ther 2008;38:736-745.
6. Arab AM, Ghamkhar L, Emami M et al: Altered muscular activation throughout inclined hip extension in girls with and with out low again ache. Chiropr Man Therap 2011;19:18.